Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Little Bit of History about our Home

Hello everyone, today I thought I would share with you a little history of our home. We purchased and moved into our home on July 1st, 1993. At that time it had this horrible gold aluminum siding, which I HATED, and told my husband that the first thing we were going to do is have all new siding put on!

But first, I want to share a photo with you of what this house looked like back around the early 1900's (I believe this photo was taken around 1910ish?) Where this house now sits is NOT where it was originally built. It was around 1907 when the Swanson family purchased a plot of land about 7 miles east of here, sight unseen. They lived around Chicago, I believe, and when the family moved here, found that the property had a lot of swampy area...not very good for farming, which is what they did. They did build themselves a home, but just a year or so later, they purchased what is now a part of the land this home now sits on, and took down and moved the home in 8 foot sections, and rebuilt it here! I do not know for sure as to how much land was original to this house, but we own 2 3/4" acres.

The original part of this house consisted of the Living room, Dining room, kitchen, and part of our masterbedroom. The window you see to the right is the dining room area, and the one to the left (center) is the livingroom area. The outside of the home was covered in black tar paper! They used old newspapers and such to cover the walls inside the home for insulation! We found lots of it when we were remodeling the Dining room.




This photo below is of the back of the house during the time the siding was being replaced. This is the only photo I have that shows the UGLY GOLD siding.



Below is a photo of the front before we had added the covered wrap-around deck. The second floor addition, the addition added to the back (enlarging the master bedroom, 1/2 bath, and laundry room), and the addition to the front which is now my sewing room, were all done in the mid 1970's by the grandson of the original owners. After he sold the home to the next family, they lived in it until we purchased it in 1993. We removed the large windows you see to the right, and installed a regular sized window, when I was pregnant with my youngest Austin, so we could transform it into a bedroom for him. When he was older, we moved him to the other bedroom upstairs that our daughter was using, and moved her into that room. And, as you know, when she married last year, that room became my sewing room.



And here is our home today. I know, it's hard to believe that this is the same home as the first picture! This home has certainly come a LONG way thru all these years! This is what I love so much about older homes versus newer built homes. They have so much more history and character with them...you just can't get that with a new home.



Don't forget to enter my "Christmas in July Giveaway"! Just click HEREto take you to that post, so you can leave a comment. Remember, the winner will be chosen from one of the comments left!

23 comments:

Char said...

Brenda, what a wonderful history of the place that holds your heart. Many, many memories, both yours and from other families. Lots of love in those walls and that is a good omen. It is hard to believe that it's the same house just by looking at the pictures.
Are you on lots of land? That is the one question that came to my mind when you spoke of moving the home due to swampland.
It's beautiful, you have done some amazing re dos and it's all so pretty. Thankyou for such a heart felt story of home and hearth, Char

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What a beautiful home you have! And how wonderful to know so much about its history. And to have pictures too! Fun to visit--Jacqueline

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Oh Brenda, I love it.... it's one of those type of homes you would love to walk through just because of how the outside looks... Your landscaping is so pretty. My goodness you guys certainly did a lot of work to make it yours and it looks wonderful.

Hugs*

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my Brenda, what a transformation! I love it, it is wonderful and so is the history! Thanks for sharing!

Nancy

Annesphamily said...

What a breathtakingly beautiful home you have here. It is amazing it was transformed through the years! I truly love it. I thank you for sharing and find that to be quite an honor when we open our hearts to our friends. Thanks sweet lady Brenda! Anne

Anonymous said...

Hi! I´m Atico,from Spain.I think your web site it´s beautiful and romantic.Your cats are beautiful too.
I make thinks,you can see my web blog, and then, be friends.
I hope you will make new thinks soon.
see you! (sorry for my english)
atico

Tanza said...

Hi Brenda,
WoW !! This was sooo interesting to say the least !! I just adore old homes, and learning about their history really intrigues me .. I have a group of friends that go on tours of all these historical homes a few times a year .. Always soo much FuN !! The outside is just as beautiful as the inside of your home .. this is such a reflection of your sweet, kind heart ~
BiG HuGs ~TeA~ xo

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Hi Brenda,
Thanks for sharing these photos..yeah, that gold siding definitely had to go!!! I loved reading about the history of your home. Your home is so beautiful. This is exactly the kind of house I want for myself someday. I LOVE older homes because there's lots of detail, character inside and out...that you don't find in newer homes today...and this reminds me of a lot of the homes in the Anne of Green Gables movies and the Road to Avonlea tv series..I LOVE it...I want a home just like this someday. Thanks for sharing :) :) :) Love and hugs, Heather :)

Unknown said...

Oh, Brenda, what a gorgeoous transformation ... don't you just love the history with the house & the wonderful pictures you have to share & treasure of its new 'faces' as time marched on.

I love touring homes of all kinds ... this would be truly a wonder to see first hand ...

Have a lovely summer's day ~
TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

Rebecca Nelson said...

Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. I LOVED this post. Wow...truly a labor of love.

Blessings for a wonderful day.

Love, Rebecca

ShirleyC said...

That is quite a transformation through the years. I love looking at the older houses and imagining how the people that first built them must have lived.

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Brenda that was a great post. I love to see the progress some of these older houses have gone through and it is always wonderful to hear about the history.
There is am old home across the street from me that is more or less abandoned and recently I heard the story of it's life from the town historian. Maybe I will post about this amazing little home sometime soon as you have inspired me. Have a great Sunday...
Tina xo

Victorian1885 said...

Good afternoon Brenda
You have done a fantastic job on your Home! The history of an older home is so interesting and it is so great knowing about the people that lived in the home before you. We have always loved owning older homes our oldest was 1912 and the one we are in now is 1924. When we purchase a home I can't wait to get to the city archieves and start my search on the history of the home and the people that resided there. Have a wonderful week ahead my friend..

Wanda

Biljana said...

Hi Brenda! Congratulations!
You have wonderful home:)
Hugs, Biljana

Terra said...

Your home is very pretty today and I liked reading about its history.

Patti said...

Y'all have done a beautiful job of renovating/restoring. Your home is positively beautiful.

I LOVE older homes (even a mid-century home would be fine with me), and since we are hoping to move this year, my hope is that we will finally live in an older home. They have so much character...not to mention history.

Have a blessed day,
Patti

Ginger said...

What a complete beautiful makeover. Your home is beautiful and the history is awesome. I love older homes also with their quaint character. Thanks for sharing.

Ginger

Home and Heart said...

Your home is gorgeous, and how lucky to have an old photo as well!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Wow Brenda, what a story! seems your house is one precious house that come with history! awesome! and the old photos really interesting to know how it looks once upon a time. and now you are truly lucky to own it!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Brenda,
What a wonderful transformation!! Your home is so beautiful both inside and out!! It looks so warm and inviting!
I too love older homes even though for my whole life, I have never lived in one. The 2 homes that I lived in as a child were both built by my father and our townhouse that we have lived in for 32 years was brand new when we bought it!!
I think in another life time I must have lived in a wonderful old Queen Anne Victorian!! LOL!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Your. Home. Is. Glorious.
What a fascinating history. Just found your blog, and I, too, love our old house, and our 4 cats.
I'll be back for more!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a great, splendid, charming and lovable home you have! It's darling!

ciao bella
thanks so much for sharing!

creative carmelina

Anonymous said...

I love this post. We live in an 1860's farmhouse that has not had many owners throught the years.
It seems that after the original family no one has been able to stay here more than 6 years. We hit 6 last October and despite unemployment are hanging in.
This house is insulated with old farm newspapers and catalogs. Still has knob and tube wiring. (I am afraid to use it in some rooms.)
Someday I will get to writing up a history.
Thanks for a fascinating read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails